Sunday, February 4, 2007


Super Bowl Sunday... what a day in America! It's almost as patriotic as July 4th. We are celebrating, I mean watching, the Colts and the Bears hash it out with our small group. I'll be thinking of my dad, of course, glued to the tube, enjoying one of his favorite pastimes and part of me will wish we could watch the game with him. I am going to rebel against the women in our group this year and actually watch the game! The past few years I haven't cared much about the teams but poor Peyton should really win a Super Bowl and what isn't to like about Tony Dungee? That man loves the Lord. For all of us who will consume thousands of calories tonight and have our opinions tomorrow about what should or shouldn't have happened during the game, let's not forget about how comfortable we are and how uncomfortable most of the world is. I've been thinking of a woman in Turkey we heard about at church today who is a refugee from a country we aren't supposed to talk about. She has two children, no money, and in the final stages of breast cancer that will cost $6,000 to treat! The fact is, as little money as John and I have right now, I know we could easily come up enough money to save my life. This woman can't even hope for it, realistically, and there are billions of people worse off than she. So this is something I've dwelt on this week and it's been sobering. Our church has decided to send this woman the tithes and offerings from 3 services and I can't wait to see if it's enough. I wonder what the look on her face will be when she gets the money to pay for her massive mastectomy... what will her kids think? May all glory go to God for his mercy to her - and to us!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good words.